Thoughts From Practice: Feb. 24
Thursday, 02.24.2011 / 11:19 AM CT / Features
By Jay Levin - Nashville Predators
| Thoughts from Monday's Practice
Thoughts from Tuesday's Practice
Instant Analysis: Tuesday's Roster Moves
Thoughts from Wednesday's Practice
Tom Callahan's Game Day Update
- No on-ice work for the Preds today. With three games in four days, the coaches used this morning as an "active rest" period. Players did off-ice work and then headed to team meetings.
- Coach Trotz said that both Sergei Kostitsyn and Ryan Suter would be in the lineup tonight. Kostitsyn will take Marek Svatos's spot in the lineup (Svatos was claimed off waivers by Ottawa earlier today). Suter's return leaves the Preds with seven healthy defensemen; Coach Trotz said it would be a game time decision on the d-man coming out of the lineup tonight.
- Injury update: Marcel Goc will undergo shoulder surgery and will miss the remainder of the season. Coach Trotz commented on how injuries have "decimated the center ice position" for the Preds this season with Matthew Lombardi, Cal O'Reilly, and now Marcel Goc out for long stretches of time.
- Coach said the staff would re-evaluate the situation at center after tonight's game, noting that Jerred Smithson, Nick Spaling, and Colin Wilson can all play either center or wing. He also posed the option of recalling a center from Milwaukee, mentioning Chris Mueller and Blake Geoffrion as two top options available from the Admirals. Smithson and Spaling have been alternating between wing and center all season. Wilson has been primarily used on the wing this season (the coaches have liked the size and strength he has shown along the walls), but opened Tuesday night's game at center (his natural position since he started playing hockey).
- Coach mentioned that the team is used to dealing with injuries, noting that the ability to work through adversity is part of the team's fabric and part of what has made this group of players special.
- Coach Trotz mentioned the need to bring more "order and detail" into the players' game. He felt the team got away from that the past few games, noting that most of the goals allowed the past two games had more to do with mistakes the Preds made. Coach noted, though, that those are all correctable issues and that the coaches have made those issues a larger point of emphasis the past two days.
- Coach Trotz said he needs to see more contributions throughout the lineup, stating that the team's strength comes from its balance. "Our strength is when we come at teams in numbers; when all lines are contributing from top to bottom of our lineup."