Thoughts From Practice: Feb. 23
Wednesday, 02.23.2011 / 12:47 PM CT / Features
| Thoughts from Monday's Practice
Thoughts from Tuesday's Practice
Instant Analysis: Tuesday's Roster Moves
- Line combinations from practice today:
White-Fisher centering Erat and Kostitsyn
Gray-Legwand centering Hornqvist and Sullivan
Yellow-Smithson centering Dumont and Ward
Green-Spaling centering Tootoo and Wilson
- Both Sergei Kostitsyn and Ryan Suter participated in the full practice today. Coach Trotz said after practice that he expects both to be ready to play tomorrow night vs. Chicago.
- Coach Trotz was not pleased with the team's energy and attention to detail last night and was especially displeased with the team's response after the first goal last night. He didn't think the team managed the puck well -- both when pressured and when no pressure was applied.
- Coach Trotz commented on the need for the team to get back to playing as a five-man unit in all three zones. He didn't feel all five players were on the same page at all times --- including forward participation in the defensive zone responsibilities and defense participation in offensive zone.
- Coach Trotz was pleased with the showing from Jonathon Blum last night and hinted that Blum may remain in the lineup on Thursday night even when Ryan Suter returns.
"I thought he played really well. He's an intelligent player. He's been their best guy in Milwaukee all season long. Last night he was fine. I never once felt like he was overmatched, so that's a great comfort."
- Blum talked about the excitement of playing in his first game, but noted there was an extra comfort level being paired primarily with Alexander Sulzer. He and Sulzer were paired together in Milwaukee at the end of last season, so that allowed them to form a familiarity with each other and their styles of play.
- Blum talked about getting the news that he was going to be called up...
"We had three games on the weekend, so after Sunday night's game Coach Lambert called me in to his office and told me I was going up. I was excited. Coming back into the locker room the other guys (in Milwaukee) were excited for me -- excited for me to play in my first NHL game."
- Blum talked about making his NHL debut in the same building he was drafted (Nationwide Arena hosted the 2007 NHL Draft -- where the Predators selected Blum in the first round)...
"After I heard the news and called my parents, my mom said isn't that crazy, that's where it all started and now that's where you'll play your first NHL game. I never really thought about it until she said it, but it's pretty cool. Pretty weird coincidence that my first game was in that building."