Who Do The Preds Play Next?
Monday, 04.25.2011 / 11:12 AM
By Jay Levin - Nashville Predators / Playoff Blog -- Conference Quarterfinals vs. Anaheim
Now that the Preds have wrapped up the Conference Quarterfinals series win over the Anaheim Ducks, it's time to start peeking ahead to potential Round 2 opponents. Quick take, since the NHL will re-seed match-ups between Rounds 1 and 2, the results of the Vancouver/Chicago series and the San Jose/Los Angeles series will both determine who Nashville will face next round; there are three possibilities for the Preds --- and it might not be decided until late Wednesday night.
- if both Vancouver and San Jose win their respective series: Nashville will travel to Vancouver to open Round 2
- if one of Vancouver or San Jose (it doesn't matter which) wins and the other loses: Nashville will travel to Detroit to open Round 2
- if both Vancouver and San Jose lose their respective series: Nashville will host Los Angeles to open Round 2
Now the more detailed break-down.
Los Angeles hosts San Jose in Game 6 tonight (Monday night). The Sharks lead the series three games to two, so a San Jose win and the series is over. A Los Angeles win and the series moves to a deciding Game 7 in San Jose on Wednesday night. The Kings appeared down and out after they surrendered a 4-0 lead in Game 3 of an eventual 6-5 San Jose OT win; the Sharks followed it up with a 6-3 win in Game 4 and most pundits predicted San Jose would wrap the series up at home in Game 5, however the Kings rallied behind netminder Jonathan Quick's 51-save effort for a 3-1 win to keep the series alive.
Vancouver hosts Chicago in Game 7 on Tuesday night. Just a few days ago the Canucks held a 3-0 series lead and seemed to be cruising to a series sweep, but the Chicago offense came to life in Game 4, a 7-2 Hawks win, and followed with a 5-0 Chicago win in Game 5. Last night the Blackhawks rallied from a 3-2 defecit to convert a thrid period penalty shot to force overtime and then won the game 15:30 into the extra frame to force the seventh game.
Round 2 Seeding scenarios:
- If Vancouver and San Jose win: #1 Vancouver vs. #5 Nashville AND #2 San Jose vs. #3 Detroit
- If Vancouver and Los Angeles win: #1 Vancouver vs. #7 Los Angeles AND #3 Detroit vs. #5 Nashville
- If San Jose and Chicago win: #2 San Jose vs. #8 Chicago AND #3 Detroit vs. #5 Nashville
- If Los Angeles and Chicago win: #3 Detroit vs. #8 Chicago AND #5 Nashville vs. #6 Los Angeles