Game 2 - Second Period
Friday, 04.15.2011 / 8:38 PM
By Jay Levin - Nashville Predators / Playoff Blog -- Conference Quarterfinals vs. Anaheim
Thoughts and views from the second period...
- Bounces not going the Preds way tonight, Anaheim's second and fourth goals both came as a result of unlucky bounces in the slot --- one heading to Selanne on the power-play, the other going to Getzlaf as a power-play expired.
- Third goal was a turning point to the game. Nashville had grabbed momentum down the back stretch of the first period and carried it into the second period. When the Preds converted the power-play goal to pull within one score, things seemed very much in Nashville's direction.
- Bobby Ryan rebound goal -- nothing Rinne could do; got behind Kevin Klein for a redirect (save) and then put home the rebound. Ducks had sustained pressure in the Preds end; Nashville changed up on the clear, but a quick outlet by the Ducks countered before the Preds could get re-set. Key moment of the game --- it felt like Nashville had stolen the momentum before that sequence.
- Lubomir Visnovsky returned for the start of the second period for the Ducks. He plays a major role in what they do along the blueline, so it will be interesting to see how healthy/effective he can be.
- Nashville converted after an undisciplined penalty by George Parros --- kudos to Jerred Smithson for drawing the penalty. Nashville's power-play was sharp; generated three great scoring chances before converting on the fourth. Corey Perry lost his stick on the play, which gave the Preds an additional edge on the power-play and Nashville didn't give Anaheim an opportunity to clear or freeze the puck. The Preds next power-play generated three more quality scoring chances --- if Nashville can continue to get power-play chances tonight, you have to like their odds of converting again.
- Power-play came about when Parros picked a fight with Jerred Smithson 3:07 into the second period -- Parros tried to initiate with Smithson early in the first period as well. Both were given minors for roughing and Parros was given an extra minor to put the Preds on the power-play. Parros tried to fight Smithson again on his first shift out of the penalty box. Something to keep an eye on as the series moves on.
- Huge save by Emery midway through the period on Erat's odd-man rush and Klein's follow-up attempt to keep the Ducks up two goals.
- Geoffrion-Halischuk-Sullivan has been Nashville's second most effective line --- and has been rewarded with some additional shifts already tonight. They got a lot of shifts following special teams situations.